Apr 222013

I’m so glad that today is over. I had my return for jury selection today. It was a very long and drawn out process…. again. We reported at 9:00 AM and stood around for an hour before we were given our numbers. Once we had those, they lined us up in the corridor according to the number. I was 5. Another 45 minutes went by… people were coming in & out of the courtroom. A woman took a suit into the courtroom and then sat outside in the corridor with the prospective jurors. Odd.

Finally, we were called in. It was a small courtroom with a lot of prospective jurors… I think there were about 100 of us. Facing us was a table… fairly smallish… maybe 6 ft long at the most… with 5 people seated there. From left to right it went like this… prosecution, prosecution, defendant, defense attorney, defense attorney. How awful for the defendant to be rubbing elbows with the man who was trying to put him away. I’m sure that only added to his anxiety… and his anxiety was very high. He was trembling and emotional.

The case? Capital murder.

So one of the prosecutors stood before us and questioned us for about 1 1/2 hours. And then a defense attorney got up and questioned us for another 1 1/2 hours. Finally we were told we could go to lunch. Man that was a long day! After lunch we lined up in the corridor once again. And once again family members of the defendant were there in the corridor. How uncomfortable! Anyway, we were called back in. In a very prompt manner the judge began calling out names. 12 of them.

And mine wasn’t one of the 12… thank goodness! It wasn’t a death penalty case… only life without parole. But still. I can’t imagine sitting through a capital murder trial. I really can’t.

When Coach called me to ask about how it went, I let him know I was home packing my bags because we are being sequestered. I’m such a devil. After he cursed for a moment or two, I fessed up.

So now after a week of courtroom junk, it’s back to my regularly scheduled program. Whew!

Don’t buy that pre-cooked (spell check is trying to make this PEE-COOKED) turkey stuff from Wal Mart. I can’t remember the brand name… it was near the deli section… and it was awful! I sliced it, warmed it, and dressed it with some turkey gravy. Yuck! The gravy was really good… as was the mac & cheese and glazed apples…but the turkey was just gross.

That’s about all I have for tonight. Tomorrow it’s back to working on the big exercise I’m planning. It’s exciting! As soon as I can tell you all more about it I will. There will be pictures and such I’m sure.


Being an adult is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane.

  3 Responses to “One of Twelve”

  1. I would not want to be on a jury at all. I just don’t like the idea of deciding someone elses fate. Even if they deserve it I’d rather not have a voice in their fate. I also think I’d find it hard to listen to the details of the death, to deal with the emotions of both families and the drama of the lawyers. Man, I would not want to be on a jury.

    Was the turkey Butterball or a Walmart brand? I’m trying to figure out what this turkey is.

  2. No, I would find it very difficult to serve as a jury member on a murder trial. We don’t have the death penalty here, but I would still find it very hard indeed. I am glad that you weren’t chosen and can get back to your own busy life.

  3. As much as I would never ever want to be chosen for jury duty I think I would be a little offended if i wasn’t chosen!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

%d bloggers like this: